associate, senior heritage
Andy trained and specialised in architectural and building conservation in the UK. He has gained over 20 years of expert specialist technical experience in built heritage practice and since joining Archifact – architecture & conservation limited in 2009 he has enhanced his vast depth and knowledge in all heritage matters. He has been at the forefront of adopting and adapting the latest digital scanning technologies and recording methods within the special requirements of works in the historic built environment. Andy has a particular passion for providing a continuous and appropriate use for historic places, and their development and conservation draws on broad practical and technical experience in the use of traditional materials and practices.
Andy gained a Bsc (Hons) in Architectural and Building Conservation at the University of South Wales, UK. He is a full member of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation, UK and a full member of ICOMOS NZ.
2009 – current
- Old Choral Hall, Auckland – production of a Conservation Plan, Assessment of Effects, detailed conservation architectural design, specification, and methodologies. Construction underway from October 2022. Undertaking of site observations, consultation, and addressing the various conditions of consent associated with historic heritage
- Old Government House, 1856 (NZHPT Cat.1) – design, specifications and methodologies
- Selwyn Church (NZHPT Cat. II) -specifications for conservation work relating to structural elements and upgrade of services throughout the complex of buildings
- Chapel of Faith in the Oaks (NZHPT Cat. II) – conservation work ensured the continued survival of this important historic asset. Specifications devised to upgrade the building both seismically and structurally, whilst addressing weather tightness, the dehydration of the building, its maintenance, and the conservation of cultural heritage values
- 44 Symonds Street, Auckland – Conservation architect, conservation, additions and alterations
- Temple View, Hamilton – Conservation Architect, 2012 – 2022
- Erskine College, Wellington, (WCC listed heritage place, HNZPT Cat 1. Place – Conservation Plan, Assessments and Methodologies
- Undertaken 3-D Laser Scanning on numerous buildings throughout New Zealand